How to Install MWLL
From Mechwarrior Living Legends Wiki
This guide will lead you through installation of MWLL.
First make sure you have an original version of Crysis Wars installed.
Note: Since the release of MWLL 0.5, only supports Crysis Wars.
Crysis Wars comes with Crysis Warhead or Crysis maximum edition as a separate install.
Note: If you have bought Crysis Warhead via EADM, you can install Wars by clicking on the little i next to the Warhead play button and choosing the optional download of the Wars addon.
Make sure Crysis Wars is patched to the latest version 1.5.
Verify that the version number in the lower right corner of the Crysis Wars Main Menu states 22.214.171.12429. If not than download and install Crysis Wars patch 1.5.
Note: Steam installations of Crysis Wars are already patched to 1.5.
Make sure you have Gamespy account and remember login data to it. If you don't have it - run Crysis Wars and create an account under Multiplayer section. After validating your GameSpy accunt use your GameSpy nickname and password to create the Profile in Crysis.
Download the MWLL installer from one of the mirrors listed on the official download page.
Update from previous version
Updates from versions prior to 0.4 are not supported - you need to remove your MWLL folder from the Mods folder in Crysis Wars and make a fresh install.
Note: There are issues with the upgrade from 0.4.9 to 0.5, the easiest way to upgrade is to just do a clean install of 0.5.
Setup of Beta 0.5
- Find the installer and run it.
- Welcome in the setup! Click next.
- Select wether you want the shortcut to launcher on desktop - in most cases this is the preferred option. Click next.
- Select your Crysis Wars directory (Note: NOT Crysis Wars\Mods !). Click Next
- After the installer finished, let the Auto Updater run by clicking Finish.
- It will inform you that a new build is available, click Yes to start downloading it.
- The downloading and installation will take a while, so grab a coffee, go read on the forums or take a walk.
- After it is finished click Close.
- The MWLL launcher will be started, but your installation might not be fully up-to-date yet. Click Check for updates and let it download and install.
- Repeat the previous step until your installation is up to date.
- Make sure you can join games in plain Crysis Wars Multiplayer: Setting up Gamespy
- If you have a 64 bit system try to select x64 version (increases performance)
If you have troubles with often crashes try to run Mod in DX9 or 32 bit - for some computers it increases the stability, though for other it makes game crashes even more often. Experiment with settings in case of troubles.
- Launch a game and make sure that version number in bottom right corner is 0.5.1 (as of writing this guide).
Updating to most recent versionIf you already have a 0.5 installation use the Auto Updater by clicking Check for updates. The launcher might do this automatically every time it is started and will notify you of available updates.
Setting up Gamespy account for multiplayer
- Start Crysis Wars without MWLL loaded.
- Click multiplayer, then internet. Enter your CD-Key if asked and proceed to create a new gamespy ID of you choosing. It is recommended, after entering multiplayer lobby, to press "account" button in the top right and check "save password" and "login automatically" options there.
- Try to connect to a PunkBuster enabled server.
- Exit Crysis Wars.
If steps 1-4 were executed correctly, you should be able to log into MWLL multiplayer with gamespy ID you created.
- Run the MWLL Launcher, and start the game
- Select Profile
- Select Multiplayer
- Select Internet Game (for having a faster logon you may click remember Password and check Autologon on)
- Select a Server with low ping
- After picking side you may hide or display the map and spawn point selection with [M] key. Buy menu is called with [,] (comma). You can enter the unit by pressing [F] key when popup shows.
- See the MWLL Basics Guide for more help on playing.
- See the MWLL Performance guide for performance optimizations.
- For solving any further problems see Troubleshooting
Once the game is up and running, you can save about 2.25gb by removing Crysis game files that are unnecessary to MWLL. Don't do this if you play the regular Crysis game, and proceed with caution if you utilize any other Crysis mods. Special thanks to Freeborn_Toad for testing and providing this information.
- /Crysis Wars/Bin32/ (all .patch1 files)
- /Crysis Wars/Game/Musik.pak
- /Crysis Wars/Game/Levels/ (entire folder)
- /Crysis Wars/Game/Localized/Video/ (entire folder)
- /Crysis Wars/Game/Localized/ (all languages other than your preferred choice)
- /Crysis Wars/Game/Localized/Lowspec/ (don't delete if you're running on Low settings)